Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Taming of the Beast





Though all but gutting a home and remodeling it shouts "home ownership" pretty loud and clear, for some reason putting in an irrigation system shouts even louder in my books.  We have been in the throes of home ownership for the past week--trench digging, shoveling, and rototilling galore!  Brett and I felt like regular old ranch hands, working as soon as Scout went to sleep until dark.  This weekend the ever-faithful Chippy came over to lend a hand.  The two dudes busted out the irrigation system, and...dun, dun, dun...it WORKS!!!  Confession: I held my breath when Brett turned on the water.  When I saw the water spewing forth, I somehow refrained from doing a happy dance and running repeats through the sprinklers like a 4 year old.  I did an internal happy dance instead.  It was much more appropriate.

Do  you know what this means?

We will grow a lawn.  A lawn.  A FREAKING LAWN!!!   Sayonara weed patch.  Brett and I have tilled the soil, and flattened it as much as possible, readying the upper terrace for grass seed.  I am getting so excited to have a place in our yard to set Scout down, and let her crawl around.  Oh, it will be glorious. 


Our veggie beds will be on a DRIP SYSTEM.  No more hours upon hours of hand watering.  Halle-freaking-lujah!!!!!  Seriously, nerd alert up in here.  Our yard will soon sustain LIFE!!!  This is the barest our yard will ever be from this point forward.  Can I get an "Amen"?!

Here's evidence of life: strawberries!

Nana was a huge help, as always, by watching Scouty while I worked in the yard.  Thank you, LoLo for always being willing to spend time with the Scouty-Doody.

...
When there wasn't a whole lot for me to do in the back, while Brett was doing his "figuring", I kept myself busy by carving out a path in the front.  Since we have the narrowest driveway ever created, it seems only right to have a designated path upon which to walk that doesn't involve shimmying between cars, or trudging through the dirt/mud to find our front door.  I was really one with the shovel, rake, rototiller and weed wacker.  It makes me feel pretty B.A. getting all western with my yard machinery.  I showed the front yard who's boss.  My path will kick your path's you know what.  Just sayin'.  Sometime in the not too distant future the path will be complete, and we will be awarded Garden of the Year.  I can just feel it.


1 comment:

  1. Wait...is that freshly cut grass that I smell?! Can't wait to see the pictures of you cavorting through the sprinklers like a maniac. It is ALL looking so GOOD! High fives to you and Brett Vila...

    ReplyDelete