Thursday, April 19, 2012

Raised Garden Beds

Knowing that a new roof was in our future, we decided it was best to hold off on landscaping, er, taming the beast.  So, we have learned to embrace the whole bomb-went-off look of our yard.  BUT we have finally started taking steps toward permanence!  Brett built 6 awesome raised beds that are just begging to be planted with this year's goods.  Brett and I are beginning to get the major itch to get outside and get our hands dirty...oh, and reap the haaaarvest.  I'm beginning to dream of tomatoes.  Is that weird?  And the weeds have grown in so beautifully that it creates a faux lawn look.  It's quite lovely, I tell you!

Kind of like the fun surprise that it is to find the couple bucks that you forgot in your ski pants pocket from last season, thus enabling you to buy that cup of hot chocolate you desperately need, is this spring's surprise of the tulips that I {super haphazardly} planted last fall.  I totally forgot about them, and was so excited upon the reminder that there really is potential for life in our explosion of a yard (Gideon is still getting the memo that he is not welcome to plop down on top of my flowers).  I can hardly wait to get my hands on my dahlia tubers that are due any time (thanks noshblog)!!!


I have a feeling it won't be too long before Scouty's out digging in the dirt with us.  She and Gideon can have a field day burying things, and digging them up...so long as they're not in my flower beds!

1 comment:

  1. "It's not a tuberrrrrrr!!!" I can barely contain my excitement about all of this. Seriously....garden nerds, UNITE!

    ReplyDelete